The challenges of supporting students at home can be many; sometimes parents aren’t sure how to help, and other times they don’t know how to do so in a way that feels sustainable for everyone involved. Setting aside time to approach life at home with the same mindfulness that goes into plans for school can make a huge difference in a child’s overall success. Similarly, identifying – and at times creating – environmental supports take some of the load off of parents by providing reminders, structure, and prompts for children to problem solve.
Working as a team
We help parents identify ways that they can reinforce the work children are doing at school with a parallel set of systems for home. We work together to find or create strategies that feel manageable and that can shift with your family.
Home strategies programs include the following:
- A home goals survey to complete prior to meeting & review of current IEP and evaluations to better target recommendations.
- Discussion of what kinds of tools your child can use to be successful at home and how you can create helpful structures for them in a sustainable manner.
- Write up of clear steps to execute on a plan to make life easier for both you and your child.
- Up to three resources developed specifically to support your child. The might include check-lists, calendars, incentive plans, routines or anything else that will support you both.
Your child would benefit from a Home Strategies Program if…
- …there are predictable pain points for you and them that you haven’t yet figured out how to avoid.
- …you can point to specific strategies that work well for your child in school, but can’t figure out how to bring them home.
- …your child is ready for more independence, but needs support to achieve it.
- …there are life skills that your child needs to work on to achieve their full potential.
- …issues such as time management or memory come up often and cause stress in your household.
Ready to take the next step?
OUr Approach To Coaching
Though we recognize that every person needs a person. Here’s what you can expect.
- Meet Everyone Where They Are: No strategy is inherently better than another. We offer options to reach any goal because we understand that the true best practice is one that you can follow through on.
- Be Flexible: Depending on your schedule, sessions can be any length from 15-60 minutes and happen at whatever frequency will serve your goals.
- Research-Based: We consistently pursue the latest research and explore new tools. What we recommend to you is informed by best practices in education and an understanding of cognitive processes.
- Collaborative: We follow your lead as regards priorities. If you don't like something we suggest or it feels unrealistic - tell us! We promise we always have another idea.